Here are some tips for saving money on clothes.
You have to admit with this economy that there are so many people out of a job that buying chothes is a luxury not a necessity. Here are my tips for making clothes shopping easy and painless. I love to shop for clothes because I do not put that much effort into looking for the name brands. But here are some of my tips that I recommend.
1. Basic colors: Most people that buy suits buy them as a set, that I do not do. To save money you should not buy matched, but you should buy separate pieces and match them yourself. Why you ask? It’s much easier to mix and match, thus saving you money. It might take more effort on your part but it is more fun. And more cost effective.
For instance black or gray trousers can be worn with almost everything. Try to buy clothes with the basic colors of brown, black, gray or blue. They are very easy to mix and match.
2. Thrift and surplus stores!!!!!!!!!!!
Most people think or say that thrift and surplus stores only carry inferior items or don’t have brand names. This is not true! Most of these stores also have top quality items and at most stores also brand names can be found. I have found items with the price tag on them. New! Yes, NEW. I know you ladies like this...men too. Yes I agree, sometimes you need to search a little harder but they can be found. Just take a look, you don’t have to buy anything, but you will see that there are cheap (especially kids) clothes to be found. Most kids out grow their items within a few months so why pay top dollar. You will see more on this in later blog post.
3. Buy your clothes on sale: It is called using your head!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the time, you can find items on sale. You just have to be strong and not go to the higher price rack. You could also look at the larger department stores; they usually have something on sales.
4. Trends: You should try to avoid fashion trends as much as possible. Usually trends are very short lived, thus you buy new clothes if they are out of fashion, which will cost you extra money. Just wait a couple of years and it comes back in style. Okay, you might not want to hear that but it is the truth. I am wearing a pair of 'new' boots from a thrift store ...and they are still in style. I paid $5 for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Wear and Tear: You should try to prolong the life of your clothes as long as possible, by removing stains as soon as possible. Removing a stain on wash ‘n wear clothing is (most of the time) very easy. I do not have to do this on a regular basis because most of my chothes are cheap enough that if I get a stain on them, I just through it away.
6. Wash and wear: When you buy clothes you should buy wash ‘n ear as much as possible. They can be worn many times before dry cleaning, saving you money.
7. Impulse: Try to avoid impulse buying. I know, everybody does this at some point of time, that is why I say that you should “try to avoid” it. For example don’t go shopping if you are hungry or don’t go clothes shopping if you are feeling emotional. Nor should you go shopping if you have 'extra money' in your pocket. One way to get rid of impulse buying is by making a list and then sticking to that list.
8. Resale shopping: Need I say more. If you need a white shirt, you can go anywhere to get that shirt, no need to go to the expensive stores.
9. Consignment shops: You should consider buying at consignment shops. You buy their all the time, but you could buy there sometimes. You can always look, looking is free! You could also consign your own clothing and recoup some of the money you spent. This is a great way to make money without having to deal with having garage sales! Just consider it!
10. High price and brands: Try to avoid brand names or buy only one set of brand clothes that you use for parties and such. The rest of the time only wear (and buy) none brand names. You all know this, take a look at T-shirts for instance; you can buy some nice/good quality T-shirts for only a few bucks. Take the same T-shirt and put on a brand logo and the shirt is $50! You will see in later blogs how I shop and why I love to shop that way....
You have to admit with this economy that there are so many people out of a job that buying chothes is a luxury not a necessity. Here are my tips for making clothes shopping easy and painless. I love to shop for clothes because I do not put that much effort into looking for the name brands. But here are some of my tips that I recommend.
1. Basic colors: Most people that buy suits buy them as a set, that I do not do. To save money you should not buy matched, but you should buy separate pieces and match them yourself. Why you ask? It’s much easier to mix and match, thus saving you money. It might take more effort on your part but it is more fun. And more cost effective.
For instance black or gray trousers can be worn with almost everything. Try to buy clothes with the basic colors of brown, black, gray or blue. They are very easy to mix and match.
2. Thrift and surplus stores!!!!!!!!!!!
Most people think or say that thrift and surplus stores only carry inferior items or don’t have brand names. This is not true! Most of these stores also have top quality items and at most stores also brand names can be found. I have found items with the price tag on them. New! Yes, NEW. I know you ladies like this...men too. Yes I agree, sometimes you need to search a little harder but they can be found. Just take a look, you don’t have to buy anything, but you will see that there are cheap (especially kids) clothes to be found. Most kids out grow their items within a few months so why pay top dollar. You will see more on this in later blog post.
3. Buy your clothes on sale: It is called using your head!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the time, you can find items on sale. You just have to be strong and not go to the higher price rack. You could also look at the larger department stores; they usually have something on sales.
4. Trends: You should try to avoid fashion trends as much as possible. Usually trends are very short lived, thus you buy new clothes if they are out of fashion, which will cost you extra money. Just wait a couple of years and it comes back in style. Okay, you might not want to hear that but it is the truth. I am wearing a pair of 'new' boots from a thrift store ...and they are still in style. I paid $5 for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Wear and Tear: You should try to prolong the life of your clothes as long as possible, by removing stains as soon as possible. Removing a stain on wash ‘n wear clothing is (most of the time) very easy. I do not have to do this on a regular basis because most of my chothes are cheap enough that if I get a stain on them, I just through it away.
6. Wash and wear: When you buy clothes you should buy wash ‘n ear as much as possible. They can be worn many times before dry cleaning, saving you money.
7. Impulse: Try to avoid impulse buying. I know, everybody does this at some point of time, that is why I say that you should “try to avoid” it. For example don’t go shopping if you are hungry or don’t go clothes shopping if you are feeling emotional. Nor should you go shopping if you have 'extra money' in your pocket. One way to get rid of impulse buying is by making a list and then sticking to that list.
8. Resale shopping: Need I say more. If you need a white shirt, you can go anywhere to get that shirt, no need to go to the expensive stores.
9. Consignment shops: You should consider buying at consignment shops. You buy their all the time, but you could buy there sometimes. You can always look, looking is free! You could also consign your own clothing and recoup some of the money you spent. This is a great way to make money without having to deal with having garage sales! Just consider it!
10. High price and brands: Try to avoid brand names or buy only one set of brand clothes that you use for parties and such. The rest of the time only wear (and buy) none brand names. You all know this, take a look at T-shirts for instance; you can buy some nice/good quality T-shirts for only a few bucks. Take the same T-shirt and put on a brand logo and the shirt is $50! You will see in later blogs how I shop and why I love to shop that way....
No comments:
Post a Comment